Week 47 of 48

December 27, 2010

One week left in 2010 and then it’s on to 2011! Dura Mater is finished and photographed, my new website is live, and graduate applications are coming to a close in the next couple weeks. Onward and upward! So this week, I’ll just provide a link to the new website, with the new work, for the new year. Enjoy!

new website! for the new year!

Week 46 of 48 (11 Months!)

December 21, 2010

Not enough time to write a real entry! Juggling way too much at the moment so here’s a few miscellaneous things from the last couple weeks. To complete the final layer of paint on Belinda, I had to setup a make-shift spray booth in an empty studio since we have been buried in snow for what feels like weeks already and there isn’t a spray booth on campus (so annoying!). Then this past weekend, I setup a photo studio to photograph Dura Mater, the suit of armor, in its final form. Thank god for empty studios… Those images will go direct to the new website, which is almost done! Hopefully it will be live within the next week or two… More news to come soon…

home-made spray booth in an extra studio

final photo shoot setup

Week 45 of 48

December 13, 2010

One more week of residents on campus, then two weeks of break before the next session comes and 2011 begins. Part of me wishes I was staying for more of the break so I could enjoy resident free studio time, but I also can’t wait to get out of here for my longest break from this place yet…

The suit of armor is almost done after working way too hard on it the last couple weeks. It won’t be totally finished until the weekend, but here is a shot when it was about half completed… I actually like it more with some parts missing so I may play around with which parts to include and which to leave out.

I also had an incredible studio visit with Ed Smith this weekend. He yelled at me for thinking I’m not ready to show and adamantly insisted that I show the piece in the city as soon as possible. Like. Now. It reminded me of my first ever studio visit with Sheila Pepe a year ago, which really confirmed my decision to pursue fine art as a career. Ed was my last studio visit of the year and a great way to end 2010. So, once I have some good photos of the armor and grad apps and the website are done, I can focus my admin work on submitting it to as many places in the city as possible until someone agrees to show it. Although the rock candy is stronger than most of my work to date, it still has a limited lifespan and I can’t imagine it lasting more than a couple years. All the more reason to show it within the next year if I’m going to show it at all…

half the plates assembled and ready to go...

plates for more layers to the skirt

figuring out skirt layers

miscellaneous detritus that I can never bring myself to throw away...

Week 44 of 48

December 6, 2010

Wow, I can’t believe there are only two weeks left to my year here (in residency time that is). Back at the beginning of this, I thought it would never end and of course it has flown by soooo fast. Time here is incomprehensible… it’s funny to me that I tried to blog every week to help keep the time, but it still feels equally ungraspable. Something about the way the residency schedule works and my odd relationship to it as a staff member makes time especially bizarre. It seems all the more appropriate that I do time-based work. As if by working with time as a medium, I could force it into compliance with my objectives, but of course in the end it doesn’t actually make a difference. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how to take a more personal direction with the work—something that reflects the transience and instability of my own life and time here. Since I will be wrapping up the suit of armor before I leave for the holidays, I will try to set up the beginnings of the next piece so it can grow while I am away. This means that I have to decide what the next piece is! So, in between working through the difficult task of assembling the armor, I am trying to make some decisions about how to move forward after it’s done. I’m actually not happy with the suit of armor itself. I have to finish it since I already invested three months worth of energy and sugar into growing it, but I realize now that it really isn’t the right application for the rock candy. I don’t regret making it—I needed something concrete to get started and figure out what the candy can really do—but now that I’ve learned everything that I can from the process of making it, I am ready to step back and rethink my approach. Lately I have been more excited by thinking about what is next then with finishing the damn thing in front of me! But I guess that’s often how it goes…

Anyways, enough chit chat. Here are some pics of a few new experiments growing crystals on raw wool, fresh off the sheep.

just a wad of wool, half dipped in solution, growing crystals

these blue ones also served as a test of making solution with fabric dye instead of food coloring

I needle felted these a bit first so the fibers are a little more dense and purposefully shaped

these were also needle felted but grown in a tank of regular solution instead of fabric dye solution

%d bloggers like this: