Week 38 of 48 (9 months!)

October 25, 2010

Before leaving town for Denver, my goal was to have as many pieces of the armor submerged in solution as I had sugar for. I received another 150lb sugar donation and converted it all to rock candy solution within a week. Unfortunately, I grossly underestimated how much sugar it would take to fill the fish tanks (nearly 100lbs for a 10 gallon tank!) so I didn’t end up with as much as I needed. If anyone wants to make a sugar donation, let me know! Its about $1/pound… Nevertheless, I managed to fit all the pieces in the tanks except one leg. Here’s a step by step sample of how this is working.

first the dress form and arm/leg I carved are fitted with various armor pieces mocked up in cardboard

the knit is then stiffened over the form into the correct compound curves and shapes

here is one of the dried pieces just so you can see how it will eventually fit the body

to maximize tank space and sugar solution, I've been packing as many pieces in each tank as I can possibly fit

layers submerged and growing...

Week 37 of 48

October 18, 2010

After taking a couple weeks off, I’m back! I spent a week working and playing way too hard and ended up making myself sick just in time for my trip to Denver. This meant I barely reached my goal in terms of what I wanted set up before leaving, but despite the sick haze, I scraped by with the bare minimum. Then I took a whole week off (for the first time all year!) for my cousin’s wedding and spent a ton of time with a lot of my extended family. It was a great little vacation, but now it’s time to get back to work… Unfortunately, I came back to some pretty gross stuff—I’ll share the good studio stuff next week, but for now, the gross:

Mold! This experimental tank of brown sugar solution didn't work very well in terms of crystal formation—instead it grew a layer of mold!

when I drained the solution out to clean the tank, the mold stuck to the knit

and the sides of the tank... it was actually hard to clean off!

If you follow my twitter feed, you'll know I found a mouse in my studio the weekend before I left

—it managed to escape death by candy, but apparently it came back and brought a friend while I was gone...

this time they were not so lucky 😦

Needless to say, I spent my first 12 hours back in studio cleaning up the candy death trap…

%d bloggers like this: