Glaze Tests

April 13, 2009

I got my first batch of glazed teeth out of the cone 10 reduction kiln last week and it was a complete disaster.  I’ve been too depressed by the loss to write much or even go to studio (plus I worked 6 days in a row at the bakery so that put a damper on progress as well), so I guess I’ll show some of my initial glaze tests to prepare for telling the depressing glaze kiln story.  I did these before I had any cast teeth to test glazes on, so I just used some abandoned pottery (there’s lots hanging around the studio) to try out some of the studio glazes since they are all completely unfamiliar to me.  For the most part, I stuck with glazes that were white, yellow or some variation of the two.  I threw in a couple that I was just curious about, like a blood red copper glaze and a carbon trap and made a matrix to try every combination of the 10 or 11 glazes so that I could see how they interacted when overlapped.  Basically I dipped each plate or bowl in one glaze, then painted on a layer of each of the 1o other glazes, counter-clockwise so I would be able to figure out which was which when they came out of the kiln.  Here’s some photos, highlighting some of my favorite effects from each sample.

A porcelain block with all the samples overlapping an ice blue celadon

A porcelain block with all the samples overlapping an ice blue celadon

The top right glaze has been duplicated on a tooth--it is one of the few that survived the disaster kiln

The top right glaze has been duplicated on a tooth--it is one of the few that survived the disaster kiln--here it is on stoneware, not porcelain

This is also one of the few glazes replicated on a tooth that survived the disaster kiln--here it is on one of the porcelain shards from Post-Processualism

This is also one of the few glazes replicated on a tooth that survived the disaster kiln--here it is on one of the porcelain shards from Post-Processualism

Hard to see what's going on, but I like a lot of it!  The far right glaze was successfully duplicated but had to be chiseled out of the kiln in pieces...

Hard to see what's going on, but I like a lot of it! The far right glaze was successfully duplicated but had to be chiseled out of the kiln in pieces...

Love this glaze--have yet to duplicated it...

Love this glaze--have yet to duplicate it...

Some blood reds... not sure yet if they're appropriate for this piece, but there's definitely lots of potential for future pieces...

Some blood reds... not sure yet if they're appropriate for this piece, but there's definitely lots of potential for future pieces...

Next time I’ll either show some images from the glaze disaster kiln, or finally give a slip-casting/mold-making demo…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: