Pre-Installation

March 14, 2007

Ceiling Grid  So after assembling all of the wood frames and cutting all the aluminum and steel to size, I temporarily wired the wood frames to the ceiling in my studio so I could start the arduous task of transferring all my cuttings to the frames that would eventually end up in the museum.  It would have been way smarter to do this at the beginning of the project so I could hang each sheet as I cut it, but I was so not into building the ceiling that I just couldn’t make myself do it until the last second.  In the end it may have actually worked out for the better.  Since I already had a lot of cuttings to work with, I could arrange patterns next to each other that I thought were complimentary and sort of set up a progression of how plant forms changed as you moved from one section of the room to another.  As I added the flower forms to the larger sheets, I could do the same–select which flowers went on which patterns to get the best effect and locate families of flowers near each other so they sort of grew in groves.

Covered Balcony As I transferred sheets onto frames, lots of strands were destroyed or torn off here and there, and I also had to collect and sort through a lot of the negatives that I had kept.  Here they are taking over the hallway/balcony outside of my studio as I untangled them all and selected which negatives would go where in the mix of already hung patterns.  These only stayed in the hallway for one night, which was good since public safety had already given me a hard time in the past when I left a few ceiling parts in the hallway for a couple hours.

Welcome! Welcome Part 2! Out of Space!  Welcome to my studio pre-installation!  These photos were all taken in the last few days before I had to transport everything into the museum itself.  Installation happened February 21st and 22nd, which of course was the first week of the spring semester.  This meant that I spent my week of break between wintersession and spring here in my studio, slaving away trying to get everything perfect before the big move.  If you recall, there are two doors into my studio, so the first two photos show the view in from both doors.  It was a little crazy.  At one end of the room I managed to space the frames out so that there was actually some room to work in so you can clearly see how each frame is super-densely hung but with a pathway inbetween.  During installation, all the frames were butted right up against each other so that the effect was a super dense paper jungle.  The 2nd photo gives you more of an idea of what that looks like because that set of frames were hung really close to one another.  Incredibly hard to work with, but closer to what the real thing was actually like.  I took a video of what it was like during this time trying to walk around in the room–basically impossible.   People who came to visit would be afraid to try and walk around, and a lot of the time they voluntarily crawled around on the floor rather than try and disturb any of the hangings!  Pretty funny.  The video is a little long, so if I figure out how to edit it down a little, I’ll post it, or maybe I’ll just post it without editing it.  Either way, keep an eye out for it in future postings.  Since my studio was only a little bigger than the actual room in the museum, it was pretty packed in there once I had everything hanging from the frames so I had to do some major re-arranging in order to keep doing new cuttings.  The 3rd photo shows the new arrangement, with table and projector and cutting mats all crammed into one corner cause that was the only strip of space left!  Not that I can complain, it was certainly beneficial that the room was bigger than the museum space–it meant when I was arranging the sheets on the frames, I could get a really clear idea of exactly what it would be like once I moved to the museum…

Last Pizza and Paper Party Ever Results of Last Paper and Pizza Party And photos of my last ever paper and pizza party.  Much smaller and less eventful than past parties, mainly because everyone was away on break.  Thanks to those of you who came and helped even while on break!  You guys rock my world.  Extra props to Jesse and Haesung for being the only two with perfect attendance–I still owe you guys something special…  We managed to finish all the kits that Rachel, Matt and I had organized for the 2nd party, so it worked out perfectly!  No drinks or partying afterwards because I stayed in studio and continued to work after everyone left, but look at how much we got done without extra distractions!  And there was pizza leftover which came in handy at 2am…

So Dense! Prettyyy… Looking Up in Studio And finally some eye candy to end this post with.  Like I said, photos taken in the last few days before the installation/transportation nightmare.  It’s so beautiful and calm and peaceful now… The first photos is the jungle without any flowers attached yet–just larger sheet/patterns hung from the ceiling frames.  The last two show what the patterns look like once flowers have been added…

Still to come!:  Bagging the plants for transportation, the drama that was the first day of installation, the drama that was the 2nd day of installation, miscellaneous headaches like brochures, invitations, posters and hateful museum bureaucracy…  But in the end, it opened and was great and so much fun!  And it’s still there… living and breathing every day…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: